“York Unlocked 2023” –
Fishergate Postern Tower and Tower 39 will be open on 7th & 8th October
On Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th October 2023 various places in York, not normally open to the public, will be “Unlocked” for you to visit.
Tower 39 on York’s City Walls is one of these locations. See the York Unlocked Website details HERE
‘York Unlocked’, in partnership with City of York Council, Friends of York Walls and York Walls Festival present an extremely rare opportunity to see inside one of the corner towers on York’s Bar Walls that is usually inaccessible to the public.
Booking for Tower 39 is via the Eventbright link and is ESSENTIAL before you visit.
Fishergate Postern Tower will be open 7th and 8th October from 10am to 4pm – but NO BOOKING IS NECESSARY
Walking Guides to “York’s City Walls Trail” can be found HERE and details of the “Walls Audio Trail” HERE
Please read the conditions of entry for Tower 39 before reserving a ticket
Please note that there are strict conditions for entry, and by reserving a free ticket you acknowledge the conditions and agree to abide by them without exception. You also agree that you will unfortunately be refused entry if you do not adhere exactly to the conditions. The York Unlocked volunteer’s decision is final in all circumstances.
The conditions are in place for your own safety. ‘York Unlocked’ are responsible for this event. Please do not contact City of York Council or Friends of York Walls with any enquiries.
Conditions of entry to ‘York Unlocked: Tower 39 on York’s Bar Walls’:
– By reserving a ticket you acknowledge that York Unlocked may unfortunately have to cancel your visit with no notice, This would happen if your safety could not be guaranteed due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances.
– All visitors must wear substantial footwear suitable for uneven floor surfaces. Bare feet, sandals, high heels etc. will not be admitted. Weatherproof clothing is also required.
– By reserving a ticket I understand that I am entering a small, dark, damp, dusty and dirty historic space. The approach to the tower is across sloping grass which may be damp and muddy.
– The venue is not suitable for young people under 10 years of age or people with mobility issues and disabilities.
– Large bags, backpacks and luggage will not be permitted inside the venue. There are no luggage, baggage or buggy storage facilities. There are no toilet or hand-washing facilities.
– By reserving a ticket I agree to follow the instructions of the York Unlocked volunteers immediately and without question, while on the site.
– COVID-19: there are no restrictions in place for visiting this location, but bear in mind you will be sharing your visit to this small space with four other people. You are welcome to take precautions.
– By reserving a ticket I agree to still or moving images of me being potentially used in online and printed articles, promotions and posts.
To find Tower 39 please head to Fishergate Postern Tower at the south end of Piccadilly (YO1 9AF), opposite the ‘Postern Gate’ Wetherspoons public house. Please enter the grassed area inside the Walls and walk up to the inside corner where the Walls turn eastward and you will see our volunteers waiting to welcome you. Please feel free to ask a volunteer at Fishergate Postern Tower if you cannot find Tower 39.
Tower 39 is very close to Fishergate Postern Tower, another fascinating building on York’s Bar Walls, that is taking part in ‘York Unlocked’. Please leave additional time (around half an hour) to visit this tower as well. There is no need to reserve a ticket for Fishergate Postern Tower (open from 10.00 to 16.00 both days), but you may need to wait for entry if the maximum number of people allowed are already in the tower.
The Phoenix Inn is also extremely close-by, and is a wonderful historic pub situated just inside the Walls at Fishergate Bar. The Phoenix is taking part in ‘York Unlocked’ so please feel free to pop in and have a look around, even if you do not wish to have a drink. Please check opening times as they may not be the same as those for York Unlocked.
DOWNLOAD your York Unlocked programme via this link.
Published 3 Oct 2023 AF