A National Lottery Heritage Fund grant of £10,000, towards this year’s York Walls Festival, has been approved!
The grant will enable us to:
- Enhance the programme of the Festival, extending it to both the Saturday (10th August) and the Sunday (11th August), and drawing in new partners with new activities.
- Create a dedicated website for the Festival See HERE
- Improve our visitor information and displays, and maps
- Provide some of our key literature in translation into selected languages
- Provide a programme of expert talks related to the walls leading up to the Festival and running on afterwards (See Festival Website for more details)
- Put on training events for Friends and interested members of the public including work on archives, ecology and archaeology
- Create a Family Pack and a Schools Pack for the Walls
- Create a nature trail to enhance the experience of going round the Walls and ramparts
- Do a professional display of the archaeological dig in the Fishergate Postern Tower
- Increase the profile of Baile Hill in this year’s Festival, including better signage, interpretation and activity on the Festival days
- Help the Red Tower to put on a Community Food Event on the Saturday afternoon of the Festival
- Arrange for two study visits to other cities in England with heritage walls to research useful lessons for what we do in York in the future.
- Help the Festival have a greater economic benefit for walls related businesses in York.
- Take the first steps towards enhancing the visitor experience at Fishergate Postern Tower through display, space organisation and lighting.
Recent press coverage has included an article in The Press HERE